Tuesday, September 1, 2009

China Red



RUBY TUESDAY


CHINA RED

The phrase 'Red China' rolls off the tongue;
We've heard it very often.
It sounds political and cold,
Not a phrase that one could soften.
But just reverse those words and then
Picture a land of fun,
Where girls in red with great big smiles
Entertain everyone.
My friend Mr Tang, who's involved with dams,
Sent this picture some years ago.
A new dam had been finished;
The waters were starting to flow.
This was a celebration;
The work had all been done.
And pretty young girls in crimson
Were singing and having fun.
They look like young girls all over;
Though I don't know them by name.
I only know that, underneath, 
We're all very much the same.
*
Dancers of the past here:

12 comments:

Pamela K H said...

China Red is absolutly beautiful. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we would stop labeling each other and just see the human being in each other?
I love your Ruby Tuesday shot and your loving spirit. I hope you get a chance to visit my blog. I think you will enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

lovely rhythm..

loved it


shraddha

maryt/theteach said...

Great RED shot, Brenda! And your poem is wonderful - no we no longer talk about Red China and that's good! :)

Anonymous said...

You are so spot on with this! Was this for the Three Gorges dam?

Dr.John said...

True people are the same though governments are different.

Regina said...

Beautiful red!

Darlene said...

"I only know that underneath, we're all very much the same."

A wonderful last line and sentiment.

Jo said...

Beautiful Brenda! Thanks for your very kind comment on my West African post last week. Coming from you, a prolific writer/poet, I take it as a huge compliment!

Quilly said...

Great Ruby Tuesday photo & poem, Brenda. In my classroom 2when issues of race would come up we would all discuss our feelings and wants and values. We would all put our hands together and notice that pretty much nobody in the room had the exact same skin tone as anybody else. THEN I'd tell them that without skin we'd all look exactly the same -- pretty dang gooey and gross.

Hearts and souls all wish for the same human things, no matter what body they're in.

Becca said...

Wow, those are amazing costumes. Thanks for sharing that pic!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Dancers dressed in red,
so alluring are your ways
that we must join in!

My Ruby Tuesday

Kat said...

Picture a land of fun,
Where girls in red with great big smiles
Entertain everyone


What a lovely thought...

it's so true. have seen that the people are really nice, friendly and warm.