Friday, February 3, 2012

Temptation



IMAGINARY GARDEN
asks us write about temptation

TEMPTATION

Tell yourself you just don't care,
Even if temptation's there.
Make-believe you're quite immune;
Pretend that you'll forget it soon.
That which is denied attracts.
Avoid it! Come on, face the facts!
Temptation has been round since Eve
(If that's a tale that you believe!)
Of course, you can if you like, give in!
Naughty! Naughty! That's a sin!
*
----------------------------------------------------------------------


PREDOMINANTLY PICTURES!

I'm not entirely certain
But I'm pretty sure it's true
That graphic fiction aims
To make life easier for you.
Should Tolstoy prove too taxing,
Should Shakespeare numb your brain,
You can read the tale in picture-form
And thus escape the pain.
Now a comic is a comic;
That I can quite accept,
But why should a novel be 'comicised'
Just because you're inept?
(The 'you' I refer to isn't you ........
I'm sure you're literate!
I'm sure you'd never take 'King Lear'
And try to 'Twitter' it!)
Great writing is much more than plots;
The language is paramount,
And Graphic Fiction, it seems to me,
Says language doesn't count.
I think it must be very rare
For someone to start with pictures
And then turn to the literature
With its academic strictures!
If we asked 'Will you now read it?'
They'd respond  'No I will NOT!
Why should I plough through all that stuff
When I already know the plot?'
So it's a case of 'either/or'
And, though my understanding's hazy,
I feel that Graphic Fiction's
Just a way of being lazy.
*

------------------------------------------------------------------
PS

Today we had a rehearsal at the hall. (It rained......of course!) We're getting toward crunch time so we'll have to slip-in extra rehearsals. But today was pretty useful as we organised a few moves and routines. I was so touched and delighted when 'the girls' (!) gave me a bunch of flowers for my birthday, which was on the 1st. Luckily I had my camera handy!

Note how we're all rugged-up! And it's Summer!

12 comments:

Fireblossom said...

A sin? Really? It seems so teensy. And I couldn't help myself!

Mary said...

You have captured temptation to a T!

"That which is denied attracts!"

And belated happy birthday!

Brother Ollie said...

how does one not push those buttons?

Unknown said...

Peter Griffin is right lollll. Loved the picture - it's adorable. Missed coming by. Stop by and say hi... Hugs, Sue

Maude Lynn said...

I would definitely have to push that button!

Happy Belated Birthday!

Cad said...

Naughty but nice? LOL

Mystic_Mom said...

Ha! I like how you did these two! Nicely done.

Mystic_Mom said...

Ha! I like how you did these two! Nicely done.

Kay L. Davies said...

I would never push that button. Either of my brothers might, but I'd be afraid it would stop an elevator, or turn on ceiling sprinklers, or set off a loud alarm that would shriek, "Kay did it, Kay did it" (in my sister's voice).
Congratulations — both for your birthday and for coming up with the quintessential temptation poem.
K

Margaret said...

That which is denied attracts.

So embace it! :)

Scarlet said...

I would push that button ~

Happy belated birthday ~

Susie Clevenger said...

Fireblossom tempted me to write on temptation so I gave in. lol Love your poem...nice work!