Saturday, February 4, 2012

The End of a Perfect Day




GRANDMA'S GOULASH
http://grandmas-goulash.info
supplied the illustration
and asked for a VERY short story.


THE END OF A PERFECT DAY!

If only you were able
To see under the table
You'd see he'd hit the bottle
Going at it full-throttle.
He'd said 'Oh heck'
Then
Hit the deck!
(140 characters.)

*
---------------------------------------------------------------




SUCK IT AND SEE

Lemon, hanging on the tree,
You are much too sour for me.
Though your peel's a perfect yellow,
Your juice is very far from mellow.
Though your shape is pure delight,
We aren't rewarded when we bite
Into your flesh, and take a suck!
We find that we are out of luck!
See that shrivelled-up grimace
Spreading over the sucker's face!
Pursed-up lips and slitty eyes
Prove a suck was not too wise!
Added to food and splashed about
You're something we can't live without.
 Your flavour's zingy and full of pep;
It puts a spring in every step.
Squeezed, you add a dash of pleasure,
That makes a lemon seem a treasure.
But,
Disregarding our cuisine......
Before we ventured on the scene.....
What did Nature have in mind
When you were so stupidly designed?
You were no good to man or beast!
I don't understand you in the least!
*
--------------------------------------------------------------
PS

After the lull of the Silly Season, life is getting back into its old swing. Today we performed 'Unhand Me' for a Church Saturday Club. We had a delicious light lunch and everyone was very welcoming. 
Here we are in full spate
Here are the very sporting men who were willing to make fools of themselves.
Here's me with the bag of props and a rather roguish look
And here's a candid camera shot of Maureen, Pam, Olwyn and Carole

In the afternoon we had an extra 'Rags to Riches rehearsal in my kitchen! We were a bit cramped but I think it was worthwhile. Then, in the evening, I prepared for a Family Lunch tomorrow. How did I ever find time to go out to work?

3 comments:

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Thanks for sharing the photos from your Church Saturday Club. It looks like everyone had a blast.

Your microfiction rocks, as usual!

Love "Suck it and See." When my brother and I were younger he would get lemons at the store and slice them, then sprinkle salt on some and sugar on others, then we'd sit and eat (and make wild faces) while watching T.V. :)

Kay L. Davies said...

Love the photo of you with the microphone, Brenda. And laughed at the first poem, for reasons I won't go into here.
As for lemons, my kid brother grew up spending winters in Mexico with our semi-retired parents, and he and his friends ate lemons as if they were oranges. Just reading the second line of your lemon poem, however, made my jaw ache under my ears.
K

Pat said...

Your microfiction is hilarious, as always. I like the lemon poem, too. Sometimes I'll eat a whole lemon without any salt or sugar on it and it is rather refreshing...but I like sour things.