Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Nanny-Nap

SUNDAY SCRIBBLINGS
suggests the topic 'Rest'.

THE NANNY-NAP
(An Acrostic)

Retirees need a little rest
Every afternoon.
Snoozing briefly suits us best.
This habit is a boon.
*
I could have written a great deal more
Were I not ready for a snore!
*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

FORETELLING

I tried my hand at foretelling, once, many moons ago,
Although the art of foretelling was something I didn't know.
My school (I was then in Zimbabwe) was having an annual fair,
And I agreed to be the Gypsy telling fortunes there.
I sat in a rather spooky cave, dressed-up in Gypsy gear,
With a crystal ball on a table, shining rotund and clear.
I was only fooling, as I have no psychic powers,
But I told peoples' fortunes for cash for several hours.
I worked this way; I looked into the ball with solemn gaze
And simply let my mind roll on in all sorts of fantastic ways.
Then I said, in a rather hollow voice, something like 'Aha!
I can see a relation here, who doesn't know where you are.'
I was never too specific, and I gauged, by the reply,
Whether I'd hit the jackpot or should let this chance go by.
If a puzzled look was all I got, I'd try another tack,
But if there was recognition I'd continue down the track.
'That must be my cousin from England!' someone might gulp and say;
'I've been meaning to write to him ever since I came away!'
Then, armed with this little titbit, I'd continued to fabricate
And, almost every time, it seemed, my sitter took my bait.
It was all too easy, that's why, ever since that day,
I've seriously doubted psychics, suspecting feet of clay.
*

6 comments:

Tigerbrite said...

Enjoyed it, thanks :)

keiths ramblings said...

I woke up from my afternoon nap to read your little ditty! Delightful!

Josie Two Shoes said...

Totally fun tales, both of them! :)

Granny Smith said...

What a delight acrostic bit with those two clincher lines at the end!
I also enjoyed you story of your stint as a fortuneteller. I have always assumed that that was their trick!

Archna Sharma said...

What a fun day of role playing that must have been. I can imagine a few stories springing from that cave. You've given me reason to doubt them myself.

Interesting idiom at the end.

Belva Rae Staples said...

Cute ones!