Sunday, February 19, 2012

Had I the Power



CARRY ON TUESDAY

http://carryontuesdayprompt.blogspot.com.au
asks us to use the words from
W.H.Auden's funeral poem 'Funeral Blues'
'Stop all the clocks!'


HAD I THE POWER

Had I the power to stop the clocks,
I'd concentrate on one,
And that's the clock that's governed
By the bullet and the gun.
Nearer and nearer to midnight
The moving hand creeps on.
Nearer and nearer to the time
When all we have is gone.
Why blame Iran? The bombs are piled
Sky-high in other states!
Get rid of them all! Yes, every one!
Think of our future fates!
'An eye for an eye' as Ghandi said
'Will leave the whole world blind'.
And if we blindly use The Bomb
What will be left behind?
I'd let the clocks of seasons run,
The clocks of night and noon,
But had I the power to stop the clocks
I would stop this one.......soon.
*
--------------------------------------------------------
And a little light relief!


Written in response to a request to use the word 'incandescent'

CANNED!

(This verse may cause appalled dissent!)
This fly has made an in-can-descent!
I was drinking Cocacola,
Swilling it around each molar,
When it flew around as I was drinking,
And, almost without a bit of thinking,
I zapped it, hit it on the conk,
 And into the can it fell, kerplonk.
It descended into its liquid grave
And I had no desire to save
Such an appalling little pest.
(Please tell me my poem is the best!)*

* It wasn't!

*

5 comments:

Whitesnake said...

Always a pleasure to visit!

keiths ramblings said...

An excellent clock to stop!

S.E.Ingraham said...

I second Keith's comment - and excellent clock to stop ... and as Whitesnake said, always a pleasure to visit ...

http://thepoet-tree-house.blogspot.com/2012/02/bye-bye-bill-my-baby-brother-bye-bye.html

Andy Sewina said...

Yeah, that's certainly the clock to stop, but I can still hear it ticking!

J Cosmo Newbery said...

A good clock to stop, that's for sure.

(Why do you have word verification on? Why do you have word verification AND moderation on?)