Friday, February 17, 2012

Busta!

provided the illustration


Would this blurb encourage your teenager to read this book?


BUSTA!
by
Fido Barker-Woofington

How we love stories about animals!
How we love a good mystery!
*
In this heart-warming novel for young teens
Both genre are combined.
*
Busta has no pedigree.
But he has an over-abundance of
Good sense,
Loyalty,
And Perseverance 
Plus
A phenomenally high I.Q.
*
He overhears a conversation
Regarding his little mistress,
Arabella's,
Involvement in a Facebook scandal!
*
Single-handedly he tracks down
The perpetrator!
(Did I tell you that he was a skilled 
Hacker?)
*
Busta's adventures
Lead him into the murky world
Of illicit drugs.
His canine sense of smell
Completely overthrows
The Drug Cartel!
What a dog!
*
FOR PARENTS
This captivating story is liberally
Sprinkled
With anti-drug propaganda!
A rousing adventure story
Is more efficacious 
Than any sermon!
*
Al Capone Jun Jun Jun Jun Jun (Writing in invisible ink in the Gun-Runners Monthly); 'Drat! It's that Busta again! 
*
-----------------------------------------------------




PURSUED!

They call it my 'mental problem', which I find rather strange;
I know that I'm quite normal and I know I'll never change.
Ever since my childhood 'they' have been after me.
Demons, witches, goblins other people never see.
They leer at me in the mirror when I try to brush my hair;
They wait for me at midnight at the bottom of the stair.
They sit there in my coffee cup, laughing in the dregs;
They wait for me by the pathway and brush up against my legs.
One came up through the plug-hole when I had a bath last night.
One was hiding in my hamburger and I couldn't take a bite.
And I know why they've chosen me; they want to take me home;
I used to live in the woods, you know; I used to be a gnome.
But I'm locked in an institution and no-one will let me out,
No matter how I beat the walls and scream and yell and shout.
'They've come for me!' I tell them; and They give me a jab
And I have to return to 'normal', a life that's pale and drab.
I sit here, now, at the table; I feel safe, but quite depressed,
For I know they'll come, the  hobgoblins, the demons and the rest.
They say they'll bring me dinner but I don't much want to eat;
I'm feeling rather drowsy, just lolling in my seat.
Oh yes! Oh no! They're here again! The salt-cellar! See that face!
The pointed chin! The leering eyes! It's all falling into place!
I'll never get away from them! They'll take me, in the end!
Bring me another needle
For that's my only friend.
*


4 comments:

Grandma's Goulash said...

Barker-Woofington surely has a winner here. His story should have appeal for the young and I'm sure for their parents as well.

Kay L. Davies said...

Love your book-blurb, Brenda, and the whole idea of a dog hacker. Wonderful. I'd buy this for the youngsters in my family.
K

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

I'd love to read this dog story, especially the part where he shows off his hacker skills. LOL

Poor "pursued." What a sad world in which to exist.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Buster was the name of my sister-in-law's wiener dog! I can just imagine Busta at the keyboard with his little paws hacking into to FB and other programs. This would be such an awesome story.

Your poem is haunting and reminds me of that old book, "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden".