Friday, November 11, 2011

Polluted Passion


WRITING IN THE BUFF
http://www.writinginthebuff.net
supplied the 'book cover'

Would this blurb make you buy this book?


POLLUTED PASSION!
by
Anna Swifton-Slow

Cheriton has fished from the Collygumble River
For as long as he remembers.
The river flows through Gramp's property,
As it did in Gramp's day.
But now the fish are dying.
*
The Pollution Abatement Officers
Cannot understand it.
Among them is a tall, blonde female officer.
Her name is Petal.
*
Soon a great romance develops
Between Cheriton and Petal.
Her uniform is no barrier.
*
One night, in a moment of passion,
Petal cries 
'I did it!'
*
Petal has been polluting the Collygumble River!
*
Why is she poisoning the river?
What are her methods?
Who is her boss?
And how will Cheriton react
To his new-found knowledge?
*
Can passion overcome pollution?
*
The episode with the water-snake will grip you.
*
A note from the Pollution Abatement Office; 'Since reading this book we have decided not to dress our female officers in such seductive uniforms.'
*
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


FLASHBACK!

Somewhere between sleeping and waking
Lies the Flashback Zone.
Long nights holds no fears;
My slumber is black velvet
And dreamless.
Bright days contains no ghosts;
My waking hours are a frenzy
Of all too concrete thought.
But lie down
On a couch,
Relaxed,
At ease,
Not a care in the world,
And the Flashbacks
Pounce!
What if he'd drowned!
What if he'd fallen off the wall?
Why did I do that?
What a stupid remark to make?
Age-old horrors
From almost forgotten films.....
'Give Us This Day',
A man drowning in liquid concrete;
The mouth slowly filling;
The eyes wide in realisation!
And everything is so real
In the Flashback Zone!
My heart races,
My palms sweat,
I even articulate
'Oh no!'
To an empty room!
I am wide awake,
Laughing at myself,
In an instant.
But my body is still fooled.
Long after, I feel cold,
Jumpy,
Almost depressed.
*
And I think of soldiers....
Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan.
How can they bear it.....
The Post Traumatic Flash-back?
*

5 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

"Can passion overcome pollution?"
I would say absolutely not.
But I'd want to read the book to find out how and why she was doing it.

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

Tammy said...

Sounds like a whole lot of snakin' going on when those uniform barriers are removed! You are so delightfully clever. Oh, and those flashbacks! I have ones about all the times I've put my foot in my mouth. So they're very painful.

Lynn said...

I'd want to read more! And nice piece on the Flashbacks! Yay for the Vets!

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

My mind is all over the place imaging those uniforms! LOL Terrific blurb. I do hope passion wins the day.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

You are so funny! Her uniform was no barrier; clothes rarely are, lol. I love your blurb and would buy this book in a heartbeat.

Your poem, too. I'm glad that my dreams usually disappear as I awake. I don't know how people with flashbacks and PTSD handle it, having to relive those times again and again. Thank you to our vets.

Kathy