Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Primrose Path

                                   Helen Allingham



THE PRIMROSE PATH

The Primrose Path! The way to Hell!
A phrase we all know very well.
The libertine's, the easy way,
Ignoring rules we should obey.
The lure of luxury and ease
May lead one to a life of sleeze.
Drugs and drink may give a kick
But the end result is pretty sick.
The pretty country maid above
Is being lured by illicit love.
Her lover waits down in the dell.
( Oh dear! She's on her way to Hell!
She's ignoring a vital rule for sure......
'Little maidens must be pure'!)
*
Who coined the words? (It's not too hard.)
Yes! Of course! The famous Bard!
*
"Show me the steep and thorny way to heaven;
Whiles, like a puff'd and reckless libertine,
Himself the primrose path of dalliance treads,
And recks not his own rede."
William Shakespeare 
*
Make sure that you 'reck your own rede'
Or you'll be off to Hell indeed!
*

12 comments:

Dorinny said...

Hello. Just want to say Ive recently discovered your blog, and I LOVE your poetry. Its the sort of poetry I like to write (and read). I dont have anything recent on my blog, but reading this has stirred up the sleeping poetry dragon within. thank you xx

Lisa said...

I won't follow this brick road :) but the poem is fun.

Jinksy said...

That makes for a lovely exclamation- "Well, reck my rede!" LOL :)

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

It is always a treat to read you.

A+

budh.aaah said...

dear she is on her way to hell..'I so hope not

Anonymous said...

Love the way you linked this to the painting and Shakespeare!

http://jessicasjapes.wordpress.com/2011/01/24/dark-teen/

Anonymous said...

Your gift for rhyme and meter is unsurpassed. Do you think in meter like I do in haiku (sometimes)? :0)

http://liv2write2day.wordpress.com/2011/01/24/boundaries-jingles-poetry-potluck/

Nanka said...

This is a treat to read the poem and hope many more do so too and pay heed to your words, if they are anywhere down that path. ;)
Many messages wrapped in the small verse.

Anonymous said...

I totally enjoyed this...thanks
Happy potluck!
http://lynnaima.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

i concur with your writing.. here's my potluck for this week: http://fiveloaf.wordpress.com/2010/08/04/here-for-you/

Lyn said...

I think I've already done that, been there..and now I'm on the way back..
very smart poem, as usual!!

Bing Yap said...

i love the rhythmic flow of your piece. it was so much fun to read this. excellent job you did!

http://pinklady-bing.blogspot.com/2011/01/6th-year.html