Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Melodramatic Intensity!



MELODRAMATIC INTENSITY!

A Melodrama's a stage play performed with intensity!
Lots of over-acting and insensitivity!
The bad is always intensely bad, the good intensely good!
Real life is so much more sedate..... usually......touch wood!
I've a 'melodramatic' hobby! I write them just for fun.
I find it very satisfying staging them when they're done.
The characters are black and white, cardboard cut-outs, it's true,
With very little resemblance to me or even you!
The Villain is always ghastly, without an ounce of charm,
About to steal the lovely damsel's only possession, the farm.
The damsel is always a virgin, impossibly demure,
And, of course, she has an admirer, whose approach is always pure.
There's always an older woman, who's jealous as can be,
And someone unknown who's listening, lurking behind a tree.
A policeman has to feature; he's often rather dim,
But often the lovely virgin falls madly in love with him.
It's good to have a yokel, who just wanders on the stage
And drives the nasty villain into a wild and venemous rage.
Every play is different, but, unless you want a flop,
The parts are always acted completely 'over the top'.
I add an audience singalong, which always goes down well,
And the people in the audience are requested to give a yell,
Shouting out a 'You tell him, love!' or maybe 'Hiss' or 'Boo!',
Or maybe 'Oh dear!' when someone dies, as they quite often do!
It's 'good clean fun' , (well, almost clean) for those of us who act,
And audiences laugh a lot and clap too, that's a fact.
I suppose it's all old-fashioned, and really a dying art,
But, should you come to Australia, I'll see you get a part!
*

21 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Oh, how fun! Love your story and your melodrama for the M day! Have a great week, Brenda! And keep writing!

Sylvia

Kim, USA said...

I like melodrama, it feels just right. Happy Wednesday!

ABC Wednesday~M

Unknown said...

Oh! Melodramatic. I love that word

: ) You always write the most clever things and make me think and smile : )

photowannabe said...

I would love to be a part of your melodrama. they are so much fun and definitely a dying art.

Roger Owen Green said...

FICTIONAL melodrama can be great; it's the real-life stuff that'll get to you.

Very apt description.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Carolyn Ford said...

What a great talent! I say, keep writing too! Perfect "m" for today!

dianasfaria.com said...

so creative you are!
& there is nothing more interesting than getting swept away in a bit of high drama.

Gattina said...

Sometimes Melodramas are very good, and I like them too.
Gattina from the ABC Team

Granny Smith said...

Now you make me want to come to Australia!

Bradley Hsi said...

So much fun! Hope to see it on stage one day.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

There's always room for a good melodrama - a great escape. :)

Beverley Baird said...

Sounds like great fun!

jay said...

Ah! Melodrama! Love it! LOL!

Everybody loves to hate a villain, do they not? And stories where you can do that are bound to turn out 'hot'! ;)

George S Batty said...

Old Grizz used to love "Melodrama" in his youger years but alas no one seems to to do it anymore in these parts. Can't think of anything moe fun than actually taking part in one.

Other Mary said...

What fun - where do I sign on? :o)

Lisa said...

Great choice for the prompt. I forgot how intense Melodrama can be.

Elizabeth said...

Love the poem, the melodrama, the wonderful rhyme throughout and would love to come to Australia, if you can write me a part about a fairy-godmother who uses a wooden cane instead of a wand. This was great,

Elizabeth

ana said...

Real life is so much more sedate..... usually......touch wood! - loved this!
Very fun read.

keiths hauntings said...

I'm on my way! Sounds fun to me,

Anonymous said...

Brenda, having attended many presentations of "The Drunkard" and hearing stories of my grandfather's experiences in vaudeville, I was captivated by this.

Wish I could make it to Oz and share a cup of tea with you!

Amy Barlow Liberatore

Old Egg said...

That's entertainment. Stage shows need to be a bit stagey or as the dictionary says "artificially histrionic!"

Once again you have delighted us with your consistently amusing work.