Monday, April 5, 2010

Alternative Route


MELLOW YELLOW MONDAY
http://mellowyellowmonday.blogspot.com/
 
ALTERNATIVE ROUTE

I chanced upon this illustration
While surfing the net one day
And it caused my mind to wander
In it's normal unstructured way.
It's clear that it's a 'Yellow Brick Road'
And the girl is Dorothy
And surely that's the Lion
And the Tin Man I can see.
So it illustrates 'The Wizard of Oz'.
Why then should it give me pause?
Why should I feel that something's wrong?
I think it must be because
They aren't the characters that we know,
The ones from the silver screen,
The version with Judy Garland,
Which most of us have seen.
Certain images are fixed
By time and repetition
Till, now, we feel we shouldn't change
Without 'someone's' permission!
But what images were in his mind?
I refer to the creator,
The original author of the piece,
Original originator?
I wont perpetuate the shots
From 1939
Although, of course, that ancient film,
Was very, very fine.
Instead I'll show alternatives,
A few that I could find,
To show you possibilities
And open-up your mind.
*



*

Another sort of highway here:
http://rinklyrimes.blogspot.com/2008/10/extra-extra-lavender-path.html

11 comments:

Liz @ MLC said...

Love this post. Happy MYM.

Mine is here.

Tania said...

Great post!:-)

Gemma Wiseman said...

I didn't realise that there were so many Yellow Brick Road variations! An entertaining post!

Eden said...

Hi, Brenda!

Great post and lovely poem. Thanks for sharing.

Happy MYM.

Mimi said...

Your poetry is lovely!
I like the line "original originator".
And the tin man in the woods, ah, exquisite!

Debbiedoos said...

What a nice Poem to share on a Monday morning!~ I love the wizard of OZ...happy Monday!~

Gattina said...

Unfortunately I don't know "the Yellow Brick Road" and a Dorothy either. But it must be cute.

Stef said...

What a nice entry! Very creative!

Dianne said...

your poem is a delight!!
the alternative images are wonderful
fun post :)

Anonymous said...

just delightful...the illustrations and the poem.

(moved my blog from fairdinks....i'm now at www.dancingmatilda.blogspot.com & wordpress.

anne said...

I am really recited your poem here.