Monday, June 23, 2008

34. The Game of the Name.


A shorter one today; once again it's not my original joke. Just the verse format is mine. As we age we become more and more obsessed with our 'declinations', the signs of our decline. And our memories worry us as much as anything else. So what's to do but laugh? Let's hope George and Fred saw the funny side!


THE GAME OF THE NAME

Fred and George sat playing cards. They were friends from way, way back.
And. like a lot of older folk, they couldn't quite keep track
Of times and names and places and of peoples' birthday dates.
So picture them...... Fred plays a card and George just contemplates.
After five minutes silence Fred notices the pause.
He looks up at his old friend just to ascertain the cause.
'It's your turn, George' he tells him. 'What's taking you so long?
You're looking sort of puzzled. Are you sure that nothing's wrong?"
George looks a mite embarrassed; you can see he's thinking hard,
He still shows some discomfort and he doesn't play a card.
'Come on, old chap' Fred almost snaps, 'We haven't got all day!'
George gulps and says ' My dear old friend! I don't know what to say......
I hate to sit here puzzling when I should enjoy the game,
But you see it's like this.....I'm afraid I can't recall your name!
It seems absurd to ask your name when I've known you all my life,
But please , old mate, tell me your name. I really am in strife....'
George looks up from the table ; his words are rather slow....
' One question, George' he finally says..... "How soon do you need to know?'

3 comments:

Ginnie said...

Hi Brenda and congratulations on starting a blog. I started mine in June of 2006 when I was 73 and I've enjoyed it immensely. I went back and read your very first poem which I loved...as I do the one you've posted today. You are very talented.
If I have any advice it would be that I posted way too often in the beginning (every day) instead of every 5th day as I do now. I used up a huge amount of memories then and it gets harder and harder to find memories worthy of posting.
All the best on your new venture.

Ginnie said...

Hi Brenda and congratulations on starting a blog. I started mine in June of 2006 when I was 73 and I've enjoyed it immensely. I went back and read your very first poem which I loved...as I do the one you've posted today. You are very talented.
If I have any advice it would be that I posted way too often in the beginning (every day) instead of every 5th day as I do now. I used up a huge amount of memories then and it gets harder and harder to find memories worthy of posting.
All the best on your new venture.

Kat said...

Hooooooooooooooo ho ho ho ho....
Jeez... I hope no one heard me laughing my heart out.. What a lovely poem....!!!