Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Yul


Here we see an actor, pleasant enough, I'd say,
But still a sort of average chap you'd meet with any day.
I know he sort of smoulders, but so did all the rest,
He was nothing too remarkable if we put him to the test.

Now see the power of the gimmick! He shaved off all his hair!
From that time on he was famous for a head both bold and bare!
Maybe he was going bald! Was that his secret shame!
I only know his shining pate brought him lots and lots of fame.
Shaved heads were not the fashion when he thought to do the deed;
His looks soon made him famous, eye-catching indeed.
Yul Brynner was a Russian, though he said he was Japanese;
He felt an air of mystery was a certain way to please.
He had his 'funny little ways', like any other man.
The walls of his dressing-room had to be painted a shade of tan!
And if he asked for boiled eggs, only brown shells would do!
Not the sort of behaviour suiting folk like me and you!
He was famous for 'The  King and I' in which he played the King,
Strutting about in Siam and hearing his children sing.
He was also famous after his death because of a film he made
Decrying the habit of smoking, because of the price he'd paid.
So the early photo of him with hair, and a cigarette in his hand,
Is really rather poignant, when we get to understand
That it was smoking that ended his illustrious career.
Yul Brynner, a famous film-star from a very much earlier year.
*
---------------------------------------------------------------


MOVIE MOTIVATION!

'Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!'
That's Clark Gable of course,
Before he's turning on his heel
And leaping on his horse!
There's never been a closing line
More positively crushing!
Poor Vivien! She went quite pale,
When, before, she'd been sweetly blushing!
I've always longed to use those words,
With a flourish,  all devil-may-care,
And the other day friend Margie
Presented me with a dare.
'I dare you' she said 'To say those words
To the very first person you meet!
The very first one who speaks to you
In the shops or on the street!'
Well, I'm not one to turn my back
On a harmless bit of fun
So I said 'You're on! I'll use those words
Today! To the very first one!'
So off I set walking to the store
And who should I meet but Herb,
And, as he approached, he suddenly fell,
Tripping over the kerb.
'Help! Help!' he cried; an anguished cry!
I heard him plead and beg,
As he lay in the gutter at my feet
Nursing his broken leg.
It was all bent up beneath him,
It looked decidedly queer,
But I simply couldn't resist the chance
Of saying 'Frankly, my dear....'
'Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!'
I said with my head in the air.
It did look rather nasty,
But a dare is still a dare.
The ambulance siren was blazing;
He just lay there and bled!
Margie will be so pleased to hear
How well I kept my head!
*

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

BRAVO. I have a big double whopper cheesy grin having read these. I have to say initially I thought you'd be comparing Yul with yule :O)

La said...

These made me chuckle, especially the second one.

I posted On Foot with Brenda this evening. I emailed you the link.

Thanks again! La

Roger Owen Green said...

It sure did make him famous, esp for The King and I.
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Kay L. Davies said...

I've just finished re-reading a Lord Peter Wimsey book, and tried to imagine what he would do when Herb fell off the kerb. He'd have said, "I know I'll get my suit dirty if I get down in the gutter to help, but frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!" Of course, Herb would have wondered why he was being my-deared by the toff in the monocle.
And I had no idea Yul Brynner was Russian, although I never thought he was Japanese.
Sad about the smoking and his death at 65, an age that sounds young to me now, although it wouldn't have in 1985.
Very interesting. Thanks, Brenda.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I didn't care for Brynner, or Gable, for that matter, when I was a youngster. But, the older I become, the finer those men look. So funny. I enjoyed your odes to the men. :-)

Nanka said...

I remember Yul with the bald pate and also how famous he was and a rage here too.But thanks for the younger Yul picture and the history of how it all ended for him.


My Y is HERE