Monday, January 17, 2011

Jellow!



Jelly Fungi! New to me!
In the trunk of a growing tree!
White or orange, pink or rose,
Or yellow as this picture shows!
'Witch's Butter' these are named,
Edible, or so it's claimed.
Eaten raw they are quite munchy,
Partly slippery, partly crunchy!
Tasting like soil..... I kid you not!
Soil just out of your garden plot!
Sometimes they seem to mimic coral,
Which seems to me a bit immoral!
Slippery! Crunchy! Tasting of earth!
Are they really of any worth?
I'd have to be close to starvation
To get the slightest inclination
To toss one back and gulp it down!
I prefer my mushrooms a normal brown!
*
---------------------------------------------------------------

                                                                                              Margaret Gosden

PARABOLA

Our finger-print covers the earth.
See the loops and whirls
Clearly on the descending finger.
The Con-descending finger!
For do we not consider ourselves
The greatest creation?
*
Yet the shape of the print is filmy,
Gauze-like,
Without substance,
Soon to be blown away.
*
Through it's finger-like window
We can see what will remain.
*
The wine-dark sea.
The wave-shaped sand.
The grainy wood.
The streaming clouds.
The mysterious ether.
They will all remain
When the finger-print has gone.
*

5 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

Very clever fungi rhyme. :) I'm with you, I'll pass!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shot. Great for mym!

Kay L. Davies said...

Fun fungi, but tasting like dirt? No, thanks!
Also liked your fingerprint.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Becca said...

Ive never heard of it but it looks really pretty!

mommy Orkid Belle said...

I love this shot and it is pretty.

Adin B