Saturday, January 8, 2011

Doubting Destiny


WRITERS' ISLAND
http://writersisland.wordpress.com/
chose the topic of 'Destiny'

DOUBTING DESTINY
I don't believe in Destiny or, as others call it, Fate.
I don't believe in Horoscopes, that label us by date.
I don't believe in Palmistry, lines are of no account,
And the art of Numerology, well, it doesn't really count.
I just believe in Chaos, or 'What will be will be'
For, after all, that's common-sense as far as I can see.
If I go out tomorrow and get knocked down by a car,
That won't be my Destiny, but just the way things are!
The little ant that crawls around, and ends up beneath my foot,
Wasn't destined to be there; he wasn't exactly 'put'.
My shoe and the little ant's wee life haven't shared some great event!
It's simply that the ant was there and 'Poof!' the ant just went!
I see myself as a little ant with just a bit more brain
And when I die I'm pretty sure I wont come back again!
For I don't believe Reincarnation  makes a lot of sense;
When I'm gone I'm gone for good; my life has departed hence.
I think it must be scary to be haunted by ideas
Like Destiny and Palmistry, that have been around for years.
I don't feel like a Puppet, which Believers all must be.
Maybe my disbelieving mind was part of my Destiny!:-)
*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------


GOLDEN GLOW

Gwyneth's Victorian cottage.
A haven on a winter's night.
Butter-yellow washes the walls.
*

7 comments:

Berowne said...

Clever and very well written.

Anonymous said...

There's an awful lot of sense in what you write, not to mention the pleasure of rhyme and lilting rhythmn.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully put.
Especially the allegory of the ant.

gautami tripathy said...

What we do is our destiny...

I loved your poetry!

destined destination

RJ Clarken said...

I love the line, "I believe in chaos." That describes my life to a 't'.

Wayne Pitchko said...

nicely done indeed....i really like the chaos line also...thanks for sharing this brenda

Shail Raghuvanshi said...

Brenda,

I just love the way you write. Nice one on desitny....