Thursday, January 6, 2011

Perfect Match



YARD ART

PERFECT MATCH

I've never been one for Garden Gnomes,
Ones I've seen at other homes;
Painted frogs and fairy faces
Are fine when seen in other places,
But my little yard is unadorned
(Should you visit...... you have been warned!)
Pebbles? Yes, we do have those.
And flowers? We have a lovely rose
And annuals of many kinds.....
'Million Bells'....... such pretty finds.
But garden ornaments, on the whole,
Have never done much for my soul.
Until the side of our cedar-wood shed
Started looking dull and dead.
'It needs....something' .....I was pensive:
'Nothing too gaudy or offensive'.
And Rebecca found the very thing!
A lovely back-drop to gardening!
Quite subdued, but well designed;
Cedar-colour! What a find!
Not in the least like a painted gnome!
A lovely addition to our home.
Thanks, Becca!
*

---------------------------------------------------------------------




GRANDMOTHER'S GARDEN

It's a pity the roses weren't blooming, for they are a beautiful sight,
The red and the pink and the yellow, the cream and the rust and the white.
It's a pity the sun wasn't shining, for the sky is a uniform grey,
And everything looks more inviting when it's seen on a sunshiny day.
But I still found these statues quite charming, with a pose that was taken from life.
For the man who created the garden based the Grandmother on his wife.
I'm sure the real children have grown now, for this was a fair while ago,
And it's only the little stone children that stay as they are and don't grow!
But I still think the idea delightful, and I hope to enjoy it anew.
Next time I'll enjoy all the roses and bask in a sky that is blue!
*

6 comments:

maryt/theteach said...

That yard art item (what do I call it?) is gorgeous! :)

Geoff Maritz said...

A garden shed adorned with a well placed piece of art is a delight to the eye and to the heart.
A lovely post. Happy new year my friend, may you be blessed in 2011.

Durward Discussion said...

A lovely acquisition ... simple, shy, and graceful.

Unknown said...

A new yard acquisition is as good a reason as any to join Yard Art Thursday!

Those statues are very cool. Quite sophisticated as yard goes, I'd say.
:-) If you'd like to see it, my entry is at The Pagan's Eye.

Peace,
Gina

joanne said...

I love all your 'rimes' and your photos are very cool.....every page I go to pleases me.....

Anonymous said...

Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice at the same time as you amend your website, how can i subscribe for
a blog site? The account helped me a appropriate deal. I had been tiny
bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered vivid
transparent concept
Also visit my web page :: build a shed