Thursday, April 14, 2011

Leaning


LEANING

I know of trees that are tall and straight,
Upright as they stand and wait.
I know of trees that all conform
To the shape that is the norm.
I know of trees that, in silhouette,
Are as alike as trees can get.
But a gum tree, as you can clearly see,
Is an individualistic tree.
It bends and bows with every whim,
This way, that way, twig and limb.
These trees refuse to toe the line.
Disobedience is divine.
*

-----------------------------------------------------------



COOK-TOP LASAGNE

Turn on the oven? What a bore!
Cook-top cooking I adore!
So much quicker in every way.
Just wash-up at the end of the day.
But Lasagne? Surely not!
It's delicious! Hits the spot.
But it needs oven-heat I'm sure;
Lots of peering through the oven door;
Lots of hanging-around and waiting.
It really is debilitating!
BUT
Fry garlic and onion in a pan that's strong;
Five minutes will do; that's not too long.
Break-up each lasagne sheet
And mix in with the chicken meat,
Plus mozzarella, chile and basil.
(Remember! This dish is going to dazzle!)
Add all this to the sizzling pan
And spread as smoothly as you can.
Now pour over the pasta sauce
Adding the water as well, of course.
Bring to the boil, simmer, stirring often
Until the lasagne starts to soften.
Fifteen minutes should be enough.
Then add all the other stuff.
Top with spinach and remaining cheese,
Then pop it under the grill with ease.
When it starts to brown you know it's finished.
Your reputation is not diminished!
You're the cook who's cream of the crop!
You're CCT!
The Chef :Cook-Top!
*
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large brown onion, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
250g dried curly lasagne sheets
1/2 large barbecued chicken, skin removed, meat shredded
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
1/4 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
1 1/2 cups grated reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
500g jar tomato pasta sauce
1 bunch English spinach, chopped
150g fresh ricotta cheese, crumbled

*
---------------------------------------------
PS

We had a lovely surprise yesterday when we  had a phone-call from two people we met on our cruise! So often cruise-friendships are literally between 'ships that pass in the night' but I hope our friendship with Sheila and Nigel continues.



I had to have my regular artery scan on Tuesday. The result was fine, but it's not my favourite activity. Cold 'cream', unpleasant pressures and lying still for two hours! I was glad when it was over. I took myself off to our new shopping-centre to see the lie of the land and to buy new shoes. It was full of holidaying children, and I couldn't see any shoes I liked so I didn't stay long.

Yesterday we acted a melodrama at a Salvation Army 'home'. It wasn't entirely successful, as the audience was made up of the very elderly, and the area was cramped. But we all had a good time anyway. Here is the cast. The two Ugly Sisters (we put on 'Cinderella') can be recognised  here by their false noses!
*

1 comment:

kat said...

Looking on the first photo made me wonder if my kids would take care of me when I am old. My kids are all boys, and usually here in the Philippines, girls are the one who take good care of their old parents. We never sent our olds to the Home for the Aged. We only sent these old people to the Home for the Aged if they don't have immediate families anymore.

Thanks to this post, and thanks for the ABC Wed./Watery Wed comment.

Have a great day.