Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Personality Plus

         Franz Kline

THE MAG
supplied the illusration

PERSONALITY PLUS

I cannot help but personalise!
I must see noses, mouths and eyes!
Though Mr Kline may clearly state
That this is a picture of 'Figure Eight'
I just have to see a human face,
Representing the human race.
I'm told that this is a human trait;
It seems we're built to 'see' this way.
Lace curtains, puddles, clouds on high
Are seen with a personalising eye.
Human features spring to mind
In the oddest things, or so I find.
*
Now here we have a man called Guido
Wearing a very smart tuxedo.
I think he's a waiter. See! He stands
With the menu in his hands.
His shirt is white, his eyes are black;
I twinkle at them.....they twinkle back!
The buttons on his shirt are smart.
(I think I'll order A La Carte.)
You may not see him, but he's there,
Obsequious, with greasy hair.
You may say I'm wrong, but it's too late;
I simply cannot see Figure Eight!
*
----------------------------------------------------------------

ALCHEMY

They were black when I bought them
Although I asked for gold.
The shop assistant apologised,
Saying all gold had been sold.
I'd set my heart on gold shoes;
I really felt depressed.
Black shoes are so mundane
And I was not impressed.
Nevertheless, I bought them,
Although they weren't quite right,
Because I needed them badly
For Billy's party that night.
The evening was predictable,
Nothing more and nothing less,
Although I'd had such high hopes
And worn my turquoise dress.
Andy made a play for me
But he bores  me to tears.
This night was going to be the worst
That I'd endured for years!
But I looked up and there you were.
I know, now, dreams come true.
My black shoes suddenly turned to gold
As I crossed the floor to you.
*
------------------------------------------------------
PS
It was our Probus Club's sixteenth birthday yesterday so, of course, we had a cake. As President I had to, ceremoniously, cut it! Pity I lost part of my head!


10 comments:

Kathe W. said...

oh your 2 poems today are a delight
and thanks for your kind comments-you are so sweet!

21 Wits said...

I still laught every time I see Jenny's photo of those walking feet! Too funny! I so enjoyed this write!

ninotaziz said...

I loved Guido - and the shoes!

Silent Otto said...

Great Anthropomorphisation Jinksy , did i just spelll that , goodness, i think guido has just leapt into the comments section !

Wayne Pitchko said...

nicely done...thanks for sharing your words

Tess Kincaid said...

I see faces, too...fun to see you with the cake, Madam President...

Helen said...

His painting is like a giant Rorschach test! Nice write.

Mariya Koleva said...

Well, I, too, saw it as a person, at first. I couldn't see the face, but it was a figure for me - possibly wearing a tuxedo, yes. I always try to personalise, too.
And I enjoyed both poems a lot!

Cad said...

As long as those black shoes didn't make you cross the line?! Haha! And I see your waiter, with no trouble...

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Excellent Rinkly Rhymes!

Thank you.

Anna :o]