Saturday, July 7, 2012

The March


WEEKEND IN BLACK AND WHITE

THE MARCH

See the Ants go marching, marching
Over the Bridge on high.
See them etched in little clusters,
Dark against the sky.
Not a sound comes from their marching,
They're too far away,
And yet the Watchers are peering upward
Into that sky of grey.
'How small they look!' the Watchers marvel;
'They look like Ants up there!'
Human beings.....inconsequential,
Those that march and those that stare.
*
----------------------------------------------------------------------

ROYAL CARPET

Interval time at the Opera House
And I went for a little stroll,
( I think looking for the toilet
Was my immediate goal!)
And I found myself on purple,
Rather like Royalty,
I felt it was too sumptuous
For little old plebian me.
And it crossed my mind
That I'm fortunate,
To live in a modern age,
In which luxury is everyday,
When my ancestors walked on beige.
By that I mean that they were 'working class'
Through most of history,
Doffing their caps to 'the masters'
With due humility.
Signing their names with 'crosses'
And always 'knowing their place',
For I fear there's not one speck of grandeur
That I am able to trace!
Yet I can 'walk on purple'
And live (almost!) like a King!
No wonder this day at the Opera House,
Made my middle-class heart start to sing!
*

5 comments:

betty-NZ said...

Nicely done in black and white. Great verse, too.

Carver said...

Great detail of the bridge in black and white.

HansHB said...

Nice b%w post!

Gemma Wiseman said...

Love the "piece" of the Harbour Bridge! And especially enjoyed the ant perspective! Beautifully crafted! Plus, the occasional purple carpet ride can be a thrill!

Dragonstar said...

Wow, they certainly look tiny up there!