Sunday, August 15, 2010

Monument to Folly


Illustration suppled by
ONE SINGLE IMPRESSION
http://onesingleimpression.blogspot.com/2010/08/prompt-129-beginning.html

MONUMENT TO FOLLY.

The statue of a weeping woman,
 Clutching the earth,
Part of it,
Overgrown by it.
A monument supine.
*
Monuments stand.
They tower,
They impose,
 They are larger than life.
They spread wings,
Raise hooves,
Express power, triumph and glory.
Even in death.
*
This monument has lost the will to stand.
She is not triumphant.
She is cowed,
She is broken-hearted,
She is laid low
By her enemies.
Us.
*
For this is Mother Nature.
We have brought her to this.
*
---------------------------------------------------------------



COLOURS

Someone posted this little bird
And before I'd even read a word
I was drawn to these gentle hues;
Maybe not ones Gauguin would choose
But 'I like the colours'. Yes, she said it.
It hadn't loaded when I read it.
As the picture moved on down
I was surprised to see just brown!
I had expected something bright,
Some yellow, red or green delight,
Something to flash and flare and flurry,
Something to grab me in a hurry.
Something to jangle and distract,
Something vivid, action-packed.
She mentioned 'colour', I thought 'paint',
Something wild, without restraint.
Then, when I saw this little fellow,
With his feathers mild and mellow,
With that gentle, autumn brown,
With that snowy touch of down,
I thought 'Here is subtlety.'
I 'liked his colours', as did she.
*

No comments: