Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Election Blues


THREE WORD WEDNESDAY
http://www.threewordwednesday.com/2010/08/3ww-cci.html
'leverage, remedy, joke'

ELECTION BLUES!

The meme this week is timely, and the reason is because
We're having an election, here in the land of Oz.
We're being promised heaven and earth and also this and that,
By all the politicians hoping to go in to bat.
One offers millions for new roads, the next one says that's crazy;
One ends up feeling that the whole affair is vague and rather hazy.
Excuses are made for leverage that leaves us all in debt;
The remedy that's offered seems a portent of regret.
Some of the statements are a joke; they cannot be believed!
And when the whole thing's over we'll be feeling quite relieved!
I'm voting for the Greens this time; I know they cannot win,
But I'd like the winning party to face up to the mess we're in.
If enough people vote for 'renewables' the major parties may
Change some of their policies in a conservational way.
Australia has such sunshine, such wave-power and such wind,
That the folk who haven't harnessed them have, in my view anyway, sinned.
Voting is compulsory, so I'll have to make my mark,
But both the major parties leave me bewildered in the dark.
'A plague on both their houses' tends to be my attitude,
Particularly when I witness some silly personal feud!
Not a very poetic offering this time around, I fear,
Oh well, only two weeks to go!
And then I'll raise a cheer!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------


DEFORESTATION!
(An Acrostic)

Deep in the forest something falls!
Echoes ring loud and clear!
Ferns are broken! A wild bird calls!
Other birds pause to hear.
Reckless mankind is on the prowl!
'Enough!' we should cry, en masse.
Silence follows ..... a silent howl.
To think we can be so crass!
Another crash! Another cry!
The trees fall one by one
Is that a vulture in the sky
Ogling the harm we've done?
Nature has done the growing,
Humans have hacked trees down!
Soon all that will be showing
Is the dead earth, wrenched and brown.
*

9 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

I think I will read it my students. If you don't mind.

tumbled thoughts in a silver tumbler

Ramesh Sood said...

Well Brenda.. Politicians every where are same..one doesn't enter politics without a personal agenda.. all the best..

I loved Deforestation.. well done..

Can there ever be a decree
None would ever cut a tree...

Thom Gabrukiewicz said...

I love reading opinions from people of different countries.

Darlene said...

You have touched on the ervironment in both peoms and it is a subject dear to my heart. In Arizona we have sunshine 365 days a year and yet solar power is just in it's infancy. Big oil with it's nasty spills buys off our politicians so nothing sane gets done.

Thomma Lyn said...

A well-written poem about the political process! Expresses the frustrations many people feel.

Anonymous said...

I voted green last time out, different country, same reasons. Love this.

Vinay Leo R. said...

hi Rinkly, yes, election times are such.. nice 3ww.. and acrostic too..!

Scribbler said...

I loved how this piece was able to capture emotion, environmentalism, and politics all at once without seeming overwhelming or preachy. It was a great piece!

ms pie said...

i really like this post hits on two important issues.... where oh where are we going now and can i find another tree...