Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A Sense of Moss


MY TRUE COLOURS calls for a 'GREEN' poem.
You can't get much greener than moss.


A SENSE OF MOSS

Here, where dryness follows rain,
Dryness till it storms again;
Here, where tempest, storm and flood
Leave cracked earth but little mud;
Here where drizzle leaves no stamp,
I had almost forgotten 'damp'.
A night of rain! To the sea it streams,
The earth is dried by the sun's hot beams.
Moisture burns off at top speed.
And moisture's what the mosses need.
And I feel a sense of loss
For, you see, I remember moss.
Somewhere, and this seems uncanny
It's creeping into every cranny.
Up the gatepost, and beyond,
Under every leaf and frond.
Soft as velvet, green as grass,
Cushioning the feet that pass.
Between the bricks making its way;
A little further every day.
Beads of water adding sheen
To the deep and lustrous green.

Today is hot; today I find
Cool green moss is on my mind.

13 comments:

Jinksy said...

Soft as velvet, green as grass ...
Loved this line - can feel cool moss beneath my fingers as I read it.

Darlene said...

A lovely green poem for St. Patrick's Day. Have a happy one, Brenda.

Reader Wil said...

Lovely Brenda! You know I admire the ease with which you make one poem after the other.

Laurieluc said...

I love your picture. Lush green is so appealing today.

DeniseinVA said...

I haven't heard Roger Whittaker in ages. Lovely! And so is this wonderful post of yours. Both the photo and the poem is delightful. Thanks for such a lovely post. Do enjoy visiting here.

Anonymous said...

Happy St Patrick's day Bren, I love the poem.

Joy said...

What a beautiful poem. Loved the last two lines which I am sure will come into my mind when next I gaze upon this plant.

Unknown said...

I love Moss and all things green. So pretty! Hope your week is happy and wonderful!

RAJI MUTHUKRISHNAN said...

So evocative!

Maggie May said...

By looking at the green moss and reading the poem, I can feel the heat of Australia and the longing...... for coolness and water!

Poopsie aka Blue said...

Perfect for green.
As my garden is frequently waterlogged have too much cool moss.

Best wishes
Blue

Carolina said...

I like moss.
And I love the picture.

Kat said...

You can even make a 'moss' shine :)))