Thursday, March 12, 2009

Iraq!


I wrote this as the height of the Iraq War

IRAQ!

Rockabye pampered one, soft in your bed.
Maybe your pillow's too high for your head?
Maybe the blankets are tickling your chin?
Maybe your nice crisp sheet isn't tucked-in?
Maybe the light's creeping under your door?
Maybe old Grandpa has started to snore?
Maybe you're feeling too cold or too hot?
Maybe you can't find a comfortable spot?
Maybe you can't decide..... side-sleep or back?
Rockabye pampered one.

 Think of Iraq!

8 comments:

Shannon said...

Thank you for the reality check! I am so pampered... in part, because of the people who defend my way of life! Tonight, I will pray for those in Iraq and put my own worries aside!

Margaret Gosden said...

What an interesting picture and a thoughtful rime to go with it. Instead if wagons in a circle, trucks forming a corridor. Ironically, sadly, they might be sleeping in their own graves...to defend a preferred way of life, for which I am grateful.

Kat said...

It's time they are called back. Every country must put in order, their mess.

Why should innocent soldiers go and die in a foreign land?

The sensible countries must put economic pressure and bring to heel the rebellious ones.

Okay.... I think all the above didn't work. Hence..!!!!

anitamombanita said...

Wow. THat was poignant!

Unknown said...

I am so thankful for those who have served. It has truly been a terrible challenge for them and for their families.

Susan Anderson said...

We all need a reality check once in awhile.

=)

Judie said...

RR, a sensitive and poignant piece. I was thinking last night about Iraq, and of all the lives lost there.

Jenny said...

Oh my heavens...what wonderful imagery and writing.

This is one of the most touching ways to look at the sacrifices our military has and continues to make for us all.

This truly is a post I will not soon forget.

Wow.

Thank you truly for sharing this.

A+