Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Ode to Joy


 Joy is a very dear friend. I wrote this poem as a little bit of nonsense at her wedding some time ago.

ODE TO JOY

When a baby girl is born there are bridges to be crossed.
And one of them's the choosing of a name.
For if it doesn't fit, in future years there's hell to pay
And the parents, then, are bound to get the blame.
*
Angela is no angel;
Charity is plain mean;
Grace lacks co-ordination
And Virginia is far from green!
Dawn is in bed till mid-day;
Eve greets the early light;
Constance is always changing
And Mercy loves a good fight.
Patience flies off the handle;
Fay is heavy and fat;
Felicity never looks happy
And Melody always sings flat.
Faith holds no hope for the future;
Prudence takes risks all the time;
Hope looks dejected and hopeless
And Honour's committed a crime!
*
But, as everybody knows, there are exceptions to all rules,
And one lady has a name that fits just right.
She is joyous, she is joyful. and we all enjoy her joy;
When she smiles it's just like switching-on a light!
And her joy has been increasing; that's been plain to see,
Since that happy day of lucky girl-meets-boy.
So, Joy, we wish you all the best that life can have in store.
And, Dave ....... just have a life that's
FULL OF JOY!

21 comments:

maryt/theteach said...

What a good friend you are Rinkley to write such a lovely poem for your friend! :)

Patty said...

What a wonderful poem. I bet she framed it and hung it on the wall. I would have.

Sylvia K said...

That is a delightful and beautiful poem! How lovely to write it for her and I'm sure it has brought her much "joy"! Thanks for sharing!

VP said...

What a lovely tribute to a very Joyful looking friend!

gone to the dogs said...

I love it. thanks for sharing.

EG CameraGirl said...

What a nice friendship the two of you enJoy!

MY ABC Wednesday post is at
More of Me - EG

Winifred said...

What a lovely tribute to her and a charming wedding present.

I have a friend called Gay and I've always thought it a lovely name as it fits her personality. Shame it's been hijacked in latter years.

anthonynorth said...

You have so much fun with your poetry. I like that.

Tumblewords: said...

Clever work and I'll bet Joy and Dave really got a kick out of having a Rinkly poem... Wonderful fun!

Rune Eide said...

Having three girls I can subscribe to most of this...

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Beautiful lady and poem!! I think I would have to frame that with the author and hang it on a wall. Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Anonymous said...

Oh, I loved that poem! Lucky Joy to have had it penned just for her!

Granny Smith said...

What a wonderful "Ode to Joy"! And while it may have been OWED to Joy, you are a very good friend to have taken on the debt with this delightful verse.

pictureeachday said...

Rinkly, every time I come to your blog for your ABC post I get caught up in all your other posts as well. They're all so entertaining. Your friend must have been so pleased to have you write this lovely poem just for her and her groom.

Kat said...

Lovvvvved the last line

And, Dave ....... just have a life that's

FULL OF JOY!

Old Egg said...

I hadn't read this one before. So it was a real treat to to go through all those names and their contrariness. The one Joy I knew was a joy to know as well.

The Altonian said...

Quite delightful. The only Joy I knew, brought me no joy at all - I hesitated to make the necessary approach. We met again when we were in our sixties, and after owning up to my lack of romantic vigour, she smiled and said: "Why didn't you? I was waiting!" Duh!

Anonymous said...

cute little poem about names

Denise Moncrief said...

I really enjoyed this poem about names. This is a delightful take on the prompt. One of my best friends is named Anna Joy, and she is a joy to be around. Sometimes the name fits.

Serena Shay said...

That is a fabulous tribute! :D

Susie Clevenger said...

It shows the depth of friendship to pen such a wonderful tribute...