Saturday, January 24, 2009

283.Taking a Break!

                                                                                             CEZANNE


This painting, entitled 'Young Italian Girl Resting on Her Elbow' is this weekend's prompt from
SIMPLY SNICKERS


Why, I asked myself, was this girl resting? No doubt Cezanne's ghost will let me know if I've got it wrong!



TAKING A BREAK!


Monsieur Cezanne! I know you pay!
But must I have to stand all day?


Quiet, little one, keep your pose!
I like the line of your peasant clothes!


It's been hours and hours and I'm feeling faint!
All you want to do is paint!


A masterpiece will soon appear!
It's a great work that I'm doing here!


But I can't even have a peep!
And now my foot has gone to sleep!


Stand up straight! Don't droop! Don't sway!
Fidget again and you get no pay!


It's alright for you! You're on a seat!
I wish you were the one with the aching feet!


Great art, my girl, demands sacrifice!
Everyone must pay a price!


Now my back's begun to ache!
How much longer will this take?


The spirits move me and I must heed!
I must go where the spirits lead!


All you bother about's your dream!
And you only pay me one centime!


And all you have to do is stand!
I really thought you'd understand!


Mother wants me home by three!
How much longer will you be!


For goodness sake! Lean on that chair!
Just for a second! That one! There!


Oooh! That's better! Oooh! That's fine!
But what I'd give for a glass of wine!


You Italian girls are all the same!
I'm almost sorry that you came!


Just five minutes, that's all I ask.
Then you can complete your task.


Wait! Wait! Stay there just as you are!
That's a better pose by far!
That hand on cheek is quite appealing!
The lines, the shadows it's revealing!
I'll throw this-morning's in the bin!


Stay just like that and I'll begin!




7 comments:

floreta said...

this was a fun read. i like the two voices in one poem... great imagination here.

Sylvia K said...

Mmmmm makes me very glad I didn't model anymore than I did! Poor girl! Great post, as always!

jinksy said...

As a one time art student, my vote goes to the painter! A drooping model is the pits...

anthonynorth said...

That was great! Loved it. Perfect sense of humour.

Linda Jacobs said...

I love this! You really get into her brain!

Linda - Nickers and Ink said...

Your blog is so much fun.

You are amazingly creative and prolific.

Blessings,
Linda

THE MAIN EVENT

Kat said...

How well a model's pains are brought out. Modeling for painting must be banned :))))

Heart goes to Monalisa... for wearing the smile all the time, until it was captured.