Sunday, July 3, 2011

King of Wings

                                                   

GRANDMA'S GOULASH
supplied the illustration

KING OF WINGS

You must often wonder why
I don't fly up in the sky.
My wings are quite magnificent, as you see.
I could be up where eagles soar
And mighty winds forever roar,
But that is not where I desire to be.

For I prefer to lurk and zoom
Here in your sweetly-smelling room,
Where kitchen odours lure me every day.
I place my sticky little feet
All over food you like to eat.
Which one of you will I make sick today?

The eagle hasn't got my power
The bee just flits from flower to flower,
And they must envy me the life I lead.
Mankind lives in a state of fear
Whenever I am whirring near.
So I am really the King of the Wings! Agreed?

-------------------------------------------------------

IMPROMPTU!

Who knows why they were dancing?
I only know that they danced!
I passed them on the waterfront
And I stood there, quite entranced.
They were New Zealand tourists,
Over here for a spell,
Doing a Maori War Dance!
But why, I cannot tell!
*  

9 comments:

Helen A. Howell said...

King of Wings eh! That fly certainly thinks a lot of himself. Where's the fly spray tee- hee

helen-scribbles.com

jabblog said...

King of Wings is a marvellous description and makes flies much more acceptable, somehow.

Geoff Maritz said...

I live on a farm and value the fly. Not because I enjoy their company, but because when they are out there doing what they do best, my life becomes much easier.
Maoris do a war dance because that is just what Maoris do.
Both very nice poems, Geoff.

Sonia Lal said...

Well, that is one fly that's doesn't lack for self-confidence! And I don't know if I do agree. LOL

Susan Fobes said...

Agreed...but I still don't like flies! Wonderful double dose of poetry.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

I enjoyed both of these. The first is certainly a unique take on the fly's perspective, and he's a very confident fellow. Nice!

Dominic de Mattos said...

Ode to a fly! How wonderful!

Enjoyed this take on the picture

:Dom

SJerZGirl said...

He's got quite the self-image, doesn't he? He's the Duff Goldman of the fly kingdom! LOL

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

i think we saw the same attitude in that FLY