Sunday, July 10, 2011

Don't Bother!



GRANDMA'S GOULASH
supplied the illustration
for a succint story

DON'T BOTHER!

When I lost those pretty earrings I got from Auntie Bea,
I felt sure I had lost them swimming in the sea.
Bertie dived in to find them! He really is a dear!
Now he's out on the horizon and I've found the earrings here!
I wave my arms in desperation! Let's hope he understands!
'Don't bother to go any further! The earrings are in my hands!'
*

-----------------------------------------------------------


SORROWFUL WATER.

High in the Snowy Mountains Lake Jindabyne is found
And if you listen carefully you'll hear a mournful sound.
It's the sound of a village crying, I'll be bound.
*
High in the Snowy Mountains Lake Jindabyne appears
Covering habitations of the former lively years
And if you taste the water, you'll taste tears.
*
Sailing across Lake Jindabyne and gazing in the deep,
You seem to see the village in its everlasting sleep.
Don't fantasise too much or you may weep.
*
A brand-new lake is picturesque and pleasant in design,
And on a sunny evening all the rippling waters shine
But it's a shroud for a town called Jindabyne.
*

1 comment:

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

I really enjoyed them both!