Thursday, May 13, 2010

Reflections at Dusk


REFLECTIONS AT DUSK

Street lights pricking on across the creek.
Trees ink-blotting on the water.
The almost-dark.
*
---------------------------------------------------------------------


PAYMENT IN ADVANCE.

She was gorgeous! She was lovely! She was sweet as apple pie!
And I told her that I'd love her till the two of us should die.
But she was a special lady and she only liked the best
And, on my meager pittance, I couldn't pass the test.
So I told her, in all honesty, that one day I'd be wealthy;
That my father was quite elderly and really quite unhealthy.
I said that if she married me we'd manage for a while
On a promise for the future…… and she smiled that lovely smile.
She made me very happy. She made me very glad.
She kissed me very gently,
And went off and married Dad!
*

No comments: