Friday, October 24, 2008

174. Recipe in Rhyme Two: Bredie




A Domestic Goddess I am not! Ask my husband! We lived in South Africa for eight years and this was a popular dish with the locals. Bredie just means 'meat and vegetable stew' actually. I frequently cook it in the winter and it really is delicious.



My illustration shows how it was originally cooked.

RECIPE IN RHYME 2
TOMATO BREDIE



Now we're tightening our belts,
Now the economy shifts and melts,
Thinking of the poor and needy,
I offer you Tomato Bredie.
South Africans originated
This dish, so very highly rated.
My version's simple to a fault,
Add things to make it more your sort.
(Garlic may appeal to you.
Add anything to this simple stew.)
Cook it slowly, that's the trick,
It wont be 'yum' if you're too quick.
Slice 'some' onions, that's the plan,
Then 'some' tomatoes from a can.
Add lamb chops, the cheapest kind;
Fatty ones taste good you'll find.
Trim the fat but not the lot;
Fat adds flavour to this pot.
(This last, no doubt, will horrify you;
But wait! A plan; I'll run it by you.)
Pepper, salt, but liquid no;
Wait till the juices start to flow.
Have you a crockpot? Why not use it?
I have one and I always choose it.
Lots of time but not much heat
Makes a Bredie divine to eat.
You will earn a flash diploma
When the house fills with aroma.
Cooked? Then now's the time to chill it.
Put it in the fridge.Don't spill it!
When it's settled, overnight,
The fat will give you quite a fright.
It will lie on top like a sheet of plastic!
Take it off! Underneath's fantastic!
Fat free, ready for the greedy,
A glorious Tomato Bredie!
But, as the adverts say, 'There's More!'
A further tip from my kitchen lore....
After the family's meal is done
Won't you be the clever one!
So much liquid will be remaining!
Don't make the mistake of straining.
Buy a chunky can of soup,
Mix all together to feed your troop.
With crispy rolls, a further meal
(Roosevelt! Here's my New Deal!)
Cordon Bleu? Well, not precisely.
Fits the bill? Yes, very nicely.

5 comments:

Merle said...

Hi Brenda ~~ Even a recipe in rhyme - well done. Sounds like a good one too.
I have copied it to my recipe file.
Thank you so much for your nice comments about my blog. Glad you like a good story and the jokes. Take care, my friend
Love, Merle.

Bear Naked said...

Sounds delicious Brenda.
I am cooking challenged but could manage that recipe.

Bear((( )))

Patty said...

Sounds yummy to me. I have a recipe and it's put into a low temp oven for about six hours. The family tells me it smells wonderful, but I've lost my sense of smell, which is bad, considering things can burn. I mentioned to the doctor's it seemed to disappear the first time I did radiation treatments almost 11 years ago, but the different doctors I mentioned it to said that wouldn't cause that to happen. So then, the way my mind works, LOL, I thought perhaps the treatments I went through a year ago might bring back my smell, but it didn't. So basically everyday, no matter what, the smell to me is the same. Once in a while if there is a really strong odor, the air will seem to change but not enough for me to tell anyone what the odor is.

murat11 said...

But Domestic Goddess POET, you are. Saucier Chaucer, you will never find. I may not have slept with many, but this bredie sounds wonderfully seedie. Peace.

Kat said...

I do not know how the Tomato Bredie would taste..... but your poem tasted pretty delicious..!!!