Monday, November 9, 2009

Still Clowning!




TAKE THIS TUNE


I feel almost ashamed to attempt a parody on the original and wonderful lyrics (reprinted below). But I can't resist a challenge.

 (I'm in a play this week where I know I'll make a fool of myself but 'not caring' is all part of the wonderful freedom Old Age imparts!)


STILL CLOWNING!
(Based on 'Send In The clowns')

Isn't it fun!
Isn't it great!
Knowing the toil is all done!
Thank you to Fate.
This is Old Age.

Isn't it sweet!
Isn't it fine!
Knowing the work is complete!
Drinking the wine!
Turning the page.
This is Old Age!

Once I was young, long time ago,
Now the time hurries where once it seemed lazy and slow.
Making my entrance back then with a toss of my head,
'I'll hate old-age!'
That's what I said.

Isn't it rich!
Isn't it neat!
What a surprise finding life is still funny and sweet!
Still on the stage!
This is Old Age!
I'll continue to 'rage'.
This is Old Age.

*
The infinitely superior original!


Isn't it rich?
Are we a pair?
Me here at last on the ground,
You in mid-air.
Send in the clowns.

Isn't it bliss?
Don't you approve?
One who keeps tearing around,
One who can't move.
Where are the clowns?
Send in the clowns.

Just when I'd stopped opening doors,
Finally knowing the one that I wanted was yours,
Making my entrance again with my usual flair,
Sure of my lines,
No one is there.

Don't you love farce?
My fault I fear.
I thought that you'd want what I want.
Sorry, my dear.
But where are the clowns?
Quick, send in the clowns.
Don't bother, they're here.




*
Another view of clowning here:

2 comments:

maryt/theteach said...

Brenda, I can't believe we chose the same tune!! I love your parodied tune! Good lucky trippin' the light fantastic on the boards! Check over at Jamie's Take This Tune" to get a look at the original meme! :)

Durward Discussion said...

Beautifully done. You managed to combine Close as the aging diva of Sunset Boulevard with a young Close singing send in the Clowns, particularly when you consider that "Send In The Clowns" was sung in "A Little Night Music" by an aging actress. erendipity.

Stop by Durward Discussion to see what I did with the As If We Never Said Goodbye prompt.