Saturday, September 6, 2008

118.Cracked!




CRACKED!


I love my grandson dearly;
He's a charmer that's for sure,
But, when he makes some statements,
I'm shattered to the core!
He tells me that my skin's too small
That's why my arms are crinkled,
And suddenly I feel quite old,
All shriveled up and wrinkled!
He's sees me knitting and declares
'Grandma! That's not for you!
You're not as big as a woman!'
I suddenly feel it's true!
I never noticed shrinkage
But now I feel quite bent!
I wouldn't say his comments
Are exactly heaven-sent!
'Why has your face got cracks in it?'
Another observation!
I look into the mirror
With additional consternation!
He isn't being nasty,
It's just that he's bemused
Seeing a face and body
That's been, let's face it, used!
So I've a face that's cracking
And a skin that hardly fits!
The truth may hurt……. but the Teller?
Well, I still love him to bits.

13 comments:

Mari Meehan said...

You are in good company and certainly not alone!

The Mulligan Family said...

Ah yes! Children and their lack of "internal filter". Wonderful poem. I remember when my son was three and he climbed in the lap of one of my dear friends. He kept looking at her and finally turned to me exclaiming, "Mommy, Why is Auntie Lynn's eyes all cracked"? I wanted to die! Fortunately, Auntie Lynn has a good sense of humor and laughed it off... but I was mortified! Have a wonderful weekend. Cheers, Cindy

Daniel Chérouvrier said...

Though I'm a grandfather, my two children have got two children each, I can share some of your impressions.

Bear Naked said...

Thanks for the poem from another grandmother.
My favourite quote from my oldest grandson was when last year he asked me , "Mim--why you have crazy hair?"

Bear((( )))

nonizamboni said...

I'm so glad you visited my blog else I might have missed your great poetry!
'How good to be a gargoyle!' and
he's still moving. What fun--I'll be back.
Happy weekend and happy spring.

Kat said...

I read in a Deepak Chopra's book about Lancelot and how King Arthur
taught him a lesson - about judging people by their 'forms' or
by the 'spirit' in them.

With age I suppose one learns to recognise the 'spirit' in a person
which determines if she or he is wrinkled or cracked... or is
pretty, smart and mature..!!!!

Julie said...

I love how seamlessly your verse rhymes, Brenda. And you carry the narrative along effortlessly. Well so it appears. I guess from your pointy end there is plenty of effort.

Brian Miller said...

gotta love their honesty...maybe if we all were it would not hurt so much. love the flow of this...happy tt!

PattiKen said...

This is absolutely charming. I can so relate!

Nanc Twop said...

That photo fit in perfectly!

moondustwriter said...

their words don't carry the same sting do they? So innocently delivered

California Girl said...

gosh this is cute.

and you have a "Sagging Face Skin Remedy" Google ad on your site!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

at least, he told the truth...
what if he lied...
Happy Saturday!